A while back C.C. Finlay interviewed me about my latest story for The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, “All Hail the Pizza King and Bless His Reign Eternal.” That interview is now available online, for folks curious about how and why stories like this get written.
F&SF: What made you decide to write this story right now?
DEN: I didn’t. I actually wrote this back in early 2018, completing the draft in just two weeks (which is maybe a record for me). But it didn’t really become the story it is now until late that year. I listened to every word of Christine Blasey Ford’s congressional testimony—which included her detailed account of being sexually assaulted by Brett Kavanaugh (who now sit on the US Supreme Court) when they were teens. I was in the kitchen, puttering, and something she said somewhere in the middle of her testimony stopped me dead, because it was a near perfect poem just as she spoke it. A poem like that, one spoken accidentally, hits you like lightning. It stops your heart. I wrote it down right then…
…And that’s when I understood what this story was really all about. It was a different story after I heard that poem, and so I rewrote it to be that story.
…and it goes on that way. Read more: Interview: David Erik Nelson on “All Hail the Pizza King and Bless His Reign Eternal”
The latest issue of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction is hitting newsstands, e-readers, and mailboxes, and I’m pleased to brag that the Pizza King himself graces the cover (and my story “All Hail the Pizza King and Bless His Reign Eternal” graces the interior).
Need your copy? Order online: paper or digital. Wanna review it on GoodReads? You can! (There is currently one review up, and the reviewer didn’t finish the story because it was “gross.” I respect that decision; it has a solid basis. Know your limits, my Dear Readers and Best Belovéds!)
THE MAGAZINE OF FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION
July/August, 71st Year of Publication
- “Spirit Level” – John Kessel
- “All Hail the Pizza King and Bless His Reign Eternal” – David Erik Nelson
- “‘Omunculus” – Madeleine E. Robins
- “The Monsters of Olympus Mons” – Brian Trent
- “Knock, Knock Said the Ship” – Rati Mehrotra
- “Last Night at the Fair” – M. Rickert
- “Bible Stories for Adults No. 37: The Jawbone” – James Morrow
- “Madre Nuestra, Que Estás en Maracaibo” – Ana Hurtado
- “A Bridge from Sea to Sky” – Bennett North
- “Crawfather” – Mel Kassel
- “The Staircase” – Stephanie Feldman
- “The Shape of Gifts” – Natalia Theodoridou
- “A Quartet of Alphabetic Bubbles” – Mary Soon Lee
- Editorial by C.C. Finlay
- Books to Look For by Charles de Lint
- Musing on Books by Michelle West
- Film: Darkness Visible by David J. Skal
- Science: What the Heck is an Analemma by Jerry Oltion
- Curiosities: The Contaminant by Leonard Reiffel (1978) by Thomas Kaufsek
Cartoons by Arthur Masear, Arthur Masear, Danny Shanahan, Kendra Allenby, Nick Downes, Nick Downes
Cover: By Alan M. Clark for “All Hail the Pizza King and Bless His Reign Eternal”